Friday, July 3, 2009

Beksinski's Asemantics

"I never ask myself, 'what does it mean?' either with respect to my own pictures, or anyone else's. Meaning is absolutely meaningless to me. It's worth as much as the taste of chocolate in a literary description. I can't understand how the question of meaning can be so important to people as regards their relationship with art . . . However, what I encounter most frequently is a semantic reception based on a description of the objects in the picture. From my point of view and as regards my own paintings, nothing could be further from the truth . . . What's important is not what is visible but what is hidden... Or in other words, what is revealed to the soul, not what the eyes can see and what can be named."
-- Zdzislaw Beksinski
'Artistic Road of Zdzislaw Beksinski'






On 21 February 2005, Beksiński was found dead in his flat in Warsaw with 17 stab wounds on his body ...

No comments:

Post a Comment